Summer Russian language programme 2013
This programme is specially designed for students who would like to:
- start studying the Russian language
- improve the Russian language
- prepare to study in Russia
- know more about Russian history, culture and traditions.
With 20 lessons per week, our Intensive Russian language enables our students to achieve a working command of the Russian language in a fast and efficient manner. The class size is limited to four students and lessons are normally Monday through Friday.
Summer Russian Language Programme consists of three main parts:
- Study programme
- Home stay programme
- Cultural programme
There are courses of different levels and duration.
4 week programme
June, 04 - June, 29
July, 02 - July, 27
July, 30 - August, 24
8 - week programme
June, 04 - July, 27
July, 02 - August, 24
12 - week programme
June, 04 - August, 24
Levels: We offer 4 levels of instruction from complete beginners to advanced.
- Russian for beginners For people with no previous knowledge of Russian (taught in English, German, Finnish). Emphasis is laid on pronunciation, basic grammar, understanding of simple texts (oral and written), conversation on everyday themes.
- Russian Main Course (Elementary level) For people with a minimal level of knowledge (taught in English, German, Finnish). Emphasis is laid on pronunciation and grammar, improvement of listening and speaking skills.
- Russian Main Course (Intermediate level) For people with a good practical knowledge of Russian. Students will get the necessary training to improve their command in oral and written language. Emphasis is laid on reading and speaking skills improvement, understanding of radio and TV programs, films, conversation on different social and cultural themes.
- Russian Main Course (Advanced level) For people proficient in Russian. Emphasis is laid on speaking skills improvement, reading of modern and classic Russian literature, enlarging special vocabulary.
As well there are courses for advanced students who major in Russian language, literature and culture.
- Russian for Philologist. For students majoring on Russian language and literature. Emphasis is laid on review of theoretical knowledge on Russian grammar and vocabulary, analysis of literary texts, culturology, new methods of teaching Russian.
- Specialized courses for teachers, business people, lawyers, and scientists. Specialized courses are designed for professionals seeking special knowledge of language terms in their fields. At least medium level knowledge of Russian is necessary to enroll in specialized classes. The following choice of subjects is available: grammar, phonetics/intonation, spoken Russian, conversation, literature, writing modern Russian. If you need the specialized courses please let us know your wishes and preferences so that our professors could design them for you.
- Special courses for advanced students. Advanced students are welcome to choose any of these courses. The courses are taught on individual basis:
- Academic writing. Training the skills of writing different kinds of scientific text: theses, synopses, reviews, articles, annotations using the special language of Academic Russian.
- The Russian literature from the classics till the present. Biographies of Russian writers, commentation reading, analyses the texts.
- The modern Russian literature. Authors: V.Astafiev, F.Iskander, G.Vladimirov, V.Erofeev, S.Dovlatov, V.Pelevin, L.Petrushevskaya, V.Sorokin, etc.
- The history of Russia from the emperor Nikolai II till the present. Reading, conversation, videocourse.
- Learning Russian language on base of the Russian folklore. Fairy tales, songs, proverbs,sayings.
- Russian Government System and Politics.The course objective and content The course introduses the present day Russian politics and aspects of the political developement in contemporary Russia. The following issues will be discussed: the current level of achievements in the sphere of democratic governance in Russia, the latest political shifts in Russia and perspectives of the democracy-building. The main object of the course is to give the alternative point of view on the situation in political sphere.The course is in English.
- Business in Russia.The course objective and content. The course introduces cross cultural aspect of doing business in Russia. The following issues would be discussed: marketing in the context of Russian reality, business environment, strategic management in Russian companies, decision making process in Russian companies, Russian human resource management, legal issues of working in Russia, organisational and legal structure of Russian companies.The course is in English.
- Ethnic Relations: Karelia - region of tolerance.The main objective of the course is to present ethnic minorities of Republic of Karelia. Special attention is given to local groups – karelians, veps and finns. Lectures on local history will make you aware of karelian minorities and its relations with local government. You will have a unique possibility to meet with karelian “first nations” and representatives of national cultural centres. Within the limits of the prgramme you will participate in the activities dedicated to the question of tolerance organized by Interuniversity Club of Intercultural Communication. The course is in English.
- How do contemporary Russia live? Modern Russian family and Its Problems.The course is in English.
- Religion in Russia: Orthodox Church.Within the course following issues will be considered: history of Russian Orthodox Church from the very beginning till modern times, reforms of Patriarch Nikon and Russian Church after the reforms. Special attention is given to the fate of the Church during Communist Era and contemporary period. Within the framework of the prgramme you will visit Solovetsky Monastery – one of the biggest monasteries in the North of Russia founded in the XVth century http://www.solovki.ru. You will also discover KIZHI island, famous for its Churches – Russian wooden architecture jewel, which are under the auspices of UNESCO http://kizhi.karelia.ru. The course is in English.
- History of Karelia.The course is in English.
- Communist Era in Russia. The course introduces many-sided review of the communist time in Russia from the position of ordinary people. The following issues will be lighted: social structure of the russian society,family life, repressions and how they influenced the society, culture in Soviet Union, ideological curtain, the soviet view of other countries, values, behavior and opinions of the soviet people.The course is in English.
- Russian cinema: Soviet and Contemporary Period.The course focuses on the development of film industry in Russia. The following issues will be covered: the history of Russian film industry; famous actors and directors; the specific features of Russian cinema; its achievements and problems. The course includes study visits to local TV companies. The participants will be able to see Russian movies of different genres and periods. The course is in English.
- Gender Studies in Karelia The course is especially designed for those interested in studying gender questions in Karelia. The lectures give essential knowledge on basic gender terms and notions; during various seminars you will be able to share your ideas with your group members. You will get the idea how Gender Studies Centre of PetrSU works while visiting the centre and meeting its active members. A special discussion forum with the representatives of Karelian NGOs will be held and at the end you can make an over-all picture of Gender Studies in Karelia.The course is in English.
- Russian Archives.The course is in English.
- Information Technologies in Karelia.The course is in English.
- Applied Arts.The course is in English.
Our instructors are university graduates with a solid experience teaching Russian as a Foreign language. Having spent time in other countries they possess a good knowledge of foreign cultures which help them better understand their students.
Home stay programme
Pay particular attention to this point. All families are carefully selected, they have been hosting students for many years. The following is included: a separate room, access to all facilities (kitchen, bathroom, TV set, refrigerator, telephone etc.), bedroom clothing. As a rule a family became a good friend for the student. The student has to fill in application form and send it back to the office 1 month before his arrival (where he points his wishes and preferences). If some problems arise during staying we are trying to find another family. As a rule it happens very seldom.
We offer the following cultural activities that will help our students to get acquainted with Russian history, culture, traditions and social life. Cultural programme is the optional. The cost is not included into the tuition fee.
- tour of Petrozavodsk, capital of Karelia region, which was founded in 1703 by Peter the Great (2 hours)
- excursions to the Local History Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, the Puppet Museum, the aquarium museum
- excursion to Kizhi island - open air museum of wooden architecture, famous for its Churches - Russian wooden architecture jewel, which are under the auspices of UNESCO
- excursion to the first Russian spa - Martial Waters and to the famous waterfall in Europe KIVACH
- visiting of city Sortavala and monastery on the island Valaam
- visiting the most rapidly developing city of Karelia Kondopoga
- visiting the Veps village Sheltozero, concert of folklore music group
- trips to St.Petersburg and Moscow - Russian two capitals
- visiting of Solovetskij islands and Solovetsky Monastery - one of the biggest monasteries in the North of Russia founded in the XVth century
- evening boat trip on the lake Onego and visiting night club
The cost of the programme (in RUB):
Study programme (in RUB)
Duration of the course
(20 h. per week)
|| 12 weeks
Accommodation (in RUB)
|Type of accommodation
|Home stay programme (excl. meals)
|Home stay programme (incl. breakfast)
|Home stay programme (incl. breakfast and dinner)
Full cost of the cultural programme varies depending on the number of excursions.
You can select what you like and we'll calculate the cost.
The required documents:
- fill in the application form taken from "Apply Now" section of the site;
- send the scanned copy of your passport to the programme coordinator;
Institute of international programs
Office 401, Anokhina str., 20,
Petrozavodsk, 185910, Republic of Karelia, Russian Federation
tel: +7(8142) 71-10-89;
fax: + 7(8142) 71-96-14