Main page
Northern European Open University Petrozavodsk City Republic of Karelia
Information for International students    CHINESE    ITALIAN

Home page


Why Petrozavodsk

Our University

Programs and Courses

DAAD Summer School 2016

Тестирование по русскому языку

TORFL Certificate



Before Arrival

Visa Information


Alumni feedback

Apply Now

Useful Links

Erasmus Mundus Triple I

Our Partners




Site map


Frequently asked questions




  • How can I get a scholarship?

PetrSU does not provide scholarships for foreign applicants. However you can contact a mission of Rossotrudnichestvo in your country for information on scholarships for international students. Note that Rossotrudnichestvo only deals with full studies scholarships and does not provide scholarships for Russian language programs.

Exchange students have the ability to study at PetrSU for free for one or two semesters. Find out more HERE.


  • Who can use PetrSU libraries?

All PetrSU students including exchange students and students arriving for the Russian language course can use libraries.


  • How do I acquire a student visa?

In order to obtain a student visa you need an official invitation from an educational institution. First, you need to submit a completed application form and a scan of your passport by email to After registering for one of our programs, you will receive an official invitation letter from the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Note that it usually takes about one month for an invitation to be issued.
Nowadays, almost all countries work with electronic invitations. If you need a paper invitation, please indicate as much in a letter to one of our coordinators. You will be responsible for paying the postage for a paper invitation. Be sure to leave yourself enough time to obtain your visa from the Russian consulate in your country. In general, this process takes about two weeks. The cost of visas varies depending on processing time and the type of visa.

  • Do I need to register my visa?

You will need to register your visa within 72 hours of your arrival in Petrozavodsk. The International Office of PetrSU will take of registering your visa. You will need to bring your passport, visa, and 2 photos to the Visa and Registration office of PetrSU (Petrozavodsk State University, Anokhina str., 20, office 409).


  • Will someone meet me at the railway station?

Yes, a representative of the PetrSU International Office will meet you upon your arrival and help you find the student dormitory or hotel. You will need to submit the exact date and time of your arrival to Petrozavodsk to your coordinator. Sending us a scan or photo of your ticket will be the best way to do this.

  • What does the first “Orientation” week include?

The “Orientation” week will include a tour of Petrozavodsk, during which the guide will tell you the most important information about the city (means of transport, shops, museums, cafes, clubs, etc.) You will receive a map of Petrozavodsk and an International Students Handbook, in which you will find a lot of useful information about our university and its facilities. If you come as a group, the first week will include a welcome dinner where you will get acquainted with the coordinators and administrative staff of our university.

  • How much money should I take?

You will need about 150 euros a month for food (this estimate does not including eating out). Museum and cinema costs vary from 3 to 100 euros. You may also wish to bring some money for souvenirs and presents.

  • Do I need to carry around my documents?

Yes. We advise that you always have your passport or scanned copies of the photo page and visa with you. You will need to show your passport when exchanging money or performing other financial transactions, buying train tickets, booking hotels, and entering night clubs.

  • What kind of food will I be getting if I choose homestay with meals?

Russian cuisine is made up mostly of familiar products which one could encounter all over the world. If you choose another type of accommodation you can cook for yourself, eat in the university cafeteria, or elsewhere. You will receive more detailed information about restaurants, cafes, and bars of Petrozavodsk upon your arrival or read about them now HERE.

  • Do I have to get medical insurance during my stay in Petrozavodsk?

Before arriving in Russia, you should check with your doctor so you know whether or not to take medicine and get a medical insurance plan before leaving your home country. International students do not get free medical care in Petrozavodsk unless they have insurance. Otherwise, you will have to pay extra money. You can acquire medical insurance in Petrozavodsk as well, and the cost will depend on the duration of your stay.

  • Can I change my accommodation if I am not comfortable with it?

We do our best to provide you with accommodations that meet your wishes. However, in the event that you’re not satisfied, we will provide you with new accommodations.

  • How do I reach university on the first day of the course?

On your first day you will be guided by your local coordinator.

  • Who can I address if I have problems?

If you have any problems, you can bring them to your local coordinator. If he or she is out of office, you may contact any staff member of the PetrSU International Office.

  • What should I do if I get sick?

First of all, you should contact your coordinator. He/she will help you get medical care. You will get free medical care provided that you have medical insurance. Otherwise you will have to pay money for provided medical services.

  • Where can I go for sports?

There are loads of sport centers in the university as well as in the city. For more information please proceed to the Cultural life of Petrozavodsk.

  • Is street crime common in Petrozavodsk?

No, Petrozavodsk is a very calm and friendly city. It has a population of about 250,000 and is considered to be a relatively small city. You should stick to the same security rules you might follow in your hometown. We advise that you not carry around large sums of money and be observant of traffic rules.

  • Where can I get a one-month pass for public transport?

You can obtain a one-month pass for trolleybuses near the university for approximately 10 euro. However, this pass is not valid on other types of public transportation.

  • Where can I exchange money?

You can exchange money in one of many bank offices in Petrozavodsk.

International Education Centre
Petrozavodsk State University
Russia, Republic of Karelia, Petrozavodsk, Anokhina str., 20, office # 401
8 8142 71 10 89
8 8142 78 41 69


Rambler's Top100 © PetrSU, 1995-2014
Tech Support